A judge has recently ruled that enough evidence has been presented for A$AP Rocky to go to trial for allegedly firing a weapon at former group member, A$AP Relli.
According to The Associated Press, at a preliminary hearing, Superior Court Judge M.L. Villar stated that Rakim Mayers, better known as A$AP Rocky would have to stand trial. He has been accused of shooting in the direction of his former friend, Terell Ephron, who goes by the moniker, A$AP Relli. The incident took place in 2021 in Hollywood. Rocky has pleaded not guilty to two felony counts of assault with a semiautomatic firearm.
Rocky is facing up to 24 years if convicted on the charges.
Villar expressed that “the totality of the video and testimony” reveals there is sufficient evidence for Rocky to go to trial. She also stated that the standard for evidence in a preliminary hearing is much lower than in a regular trial.
His attorney, Joe Tacopina made a statement related to the decision. “We’re not disappointed, not surprised, we expected to go to trial, we’ve been planning for trial all along. Rocky is going to be vindicated when all this is said and done, without question.”
Last year, prosecutors arrested Rocky after saying that on Nov. 6, 2021, the Harlem-bred lyricist pointed a gun at Relli and during the confrontation, Rocky allegedly fired it twice in the direction of Relli.
In September, according to TMZ, Relli filed a defamation lawsuit against Rocky and his attorney. In the suit, Relli alleges that Tacopina called him a liar, a money grabber, and an extortionist at the direction of Rocky. He said that Tacopina told TMZ and other media outlets that “Rocky didn’t commit a crime. It was an extortion attempt by a former associate, who threatened to make false, criminal accusations if Rocky didn’t pay him.”