Reports of Soccer Legend Pelé Being Transferred to Palliative Care in Sao Paulo are False

Reports of Soccer Legend Pelé Being Transferred to Palliative Care in Sao Paulo are False

After reports that international soccer legend Pele had been moved to palliative care as he is battling colon cancer, reports have emerged from his family as well as the hospital he is staying at that that is not the case.

The Independent reported the condition of Pele is not as grave as it has been previously reported. The soccer great from Brazil was placed in the hospital last week to re-evaluate the treatment he has been receiving as a result of colon cancer.

Doctors who are treating the 82-year-old have put out a statement that was posted to his Instagram account reassuring fans that he is “still undergoing treatment and the state of health remains stable.” Pele is being treated at the Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein in Sao Paulo.

The announcement stated (after being translated): “Edson Arantes do Nascimento was admitted to the Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein last Tuesday for a reassessment of chemotherapy therapy of the colon tumour, identified in September 2021. He is still undergoing treatment and the state of health remains stable. He has also had a good response to respiratory infection care, with no worsening of the condition in the last 24 hours.”

The retired legend also released a statement pertaining to his health status.

“My friends, I want to keep everyone calm and positive. I’m strong, with a lot of hope and I follow my treatment as usual. I want to thank the entire medical and nursing team for all the care I have received.

“I have a lot of faith in God and every message of love I receive from you all over the world keeps me full of energy. And watch Brazil in the World Cup too!

“Thank you so much for everything.

The still popular retired soccer player had surgery last year in September to remove a tumor. He was recently afflicted with COVID-19 according to his daughter.

In an updated report from The Independent earlier today, Kely, who is one of Pele’s daughters, said that he had COVID-19 about three weeks ago, which led to a respiratory infection.

“He is sick, he is old, but at the moment he is being treated for a respiratory infection and when he gets better he will be back home,” Kely said. “He is not saying goodbye in a hospital right now.”