Wendy Raquel Robinson and Tank To Host 2019 Bounce Trumpet Awards
NAACP Image® Award-winning Actress Wendy Raquel Robinson and GRAMMY® Award-nominated R&B singer Tank will host the 2019 Bounce Trumpet Awards, an exciting night of inspiration, history and crowd-rousing performances celebrating African-American achievements and contributions.
The gala black-tie ceremony will be held at the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre in Atlanta, Georgia on Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 and will world premiere nationwide on Bounce on Sun. Feb. 17 at 9:00 p.m. ET. Bounce, the fastest-growing African-American network on television, exclusively owns, produces and telecasts the star-studded event. Visit www.trumpetawards.com for more information.
GRAMMY® Award Platinum recording artist Ashanti, GRAMMY® Award-winner India.Arie, rappers Da Brat, Lil’ Mama and YoYo, Keyshia Cole and more are scheduled to perform.
Honorees for the 2019 Bounce Trumpet Awards:
- The inaugural Xernona Clayton Award will be presented to GRAMMY® Award-winning rapper, actor, entrepreneur and activist Tip T.I. Harris by Trumpet Awards founder and civil rights leader Ms. Clayton herself. Harris will be recognized for his extensive charitable work and numerous contributions to economic development and job creation within his hometown of Atlanta.
- The Living Legend/Lifetime Achievement Award will be presented to actor, comedian, film director and writer Robert Townsend. With a multi-faceted career spanning over 40 years, Townsend is best known for Hollywood Shuffle, The Five Heartbeats, The Parent ‘Hood, Meteor Man and more. In addition to his professional work, Townsend is also an active humanitarian, working with the UNCF, NAACP and numerous organizations on a variety of projects.
- The Rising Star Award Sponsored by McDonald’s will be presented to singer, dancer and actor JD McCrary. Presently appearing in The Paynes on the Oprah Winfrey Network, he will be starring as the voice of Young Simba in the live-action remake of The Lion King. 2018 Rising Star honoree Rhyon Brown will present this award.
- The Trailblazer Award will be presented to GRAMMY® Award-nominated rapper MC Lyte. Long considered as one of hip-hops pioneer feminists, she paved the way for future female artists and has collaborated with Missy Elliott, Jermaine Dupri, Sean Combs and Janet Jackson, among many others.
- The Music Excellence Award will be presented to four-time GRAMMY® Award-winning record producer, rapper and songwriter Rodney Jerkins aka Darkchild. In a career spanning nearly 25 years, he has produced and written hits for Michael Jackson, Britney Spears, Whitney Houston, Toni Braxton and Cher among many others.
- The Vanguard Award will be presented to fashion designer and haberdasher Dapper Dan (Daniel Day). Owner of the influential store, Dapper Dan’s Boutique, Day is most associated with introducing high fashion to the hip hop world, with clients including Jay-Z, LL Cool J and Salt-N-Pepa.
- The Education Excellence Award will be presented to educator Tim King, President and CEO of Urban Prep Academies, a nonprofit organization which provides high-quality and comprehensive college-preparatory educational experience for young men resulting in graduates succeeding in college.
The Trumpet Awards were conceived to recognize the outstanding accomplishments of African Americans and those who have succeeded against great odds and inspired success in others. Founded in 1992 by American Civil Rights leader Xernona Clayton, The Trumpet Awards were acquired by Bounce in 2016. The list of prestigious honorees over its 26-year history includes Muhammad Ali, Beyoncé, Jamie Foxx, Halle Berry, Stevie Wonder, The African-American Women of the United States Congress, Steve Harvey, Martin Luther King, III, Janelle Monáe and Spike Lee.
Bounce (@BounceTV) airs on the broadcast signals of local television stations and corresponding cable carriage and features a programming mix of original and off-network series, theatrical motion pictures, specials, live sports, and more. Bounce has grown to be available in more than 109 million homes across the United States and 97% of all African-American (AA) television homes, including all the top AA television markets. Bounce is part of The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP)
You must log in to post a comment.